Career Switchers Social Studies
Career Switchers wikispace is located at: http://careerswitcherssocial.wikispaces.com/
Topics of Discussion
Habits of the Mind
Teaching as a Facilitator vs. as a Disseminator
Showcasing and Videoconferencing
Declaration of Human rights showcase
Movies in Class
Lesson Plan help
Homework / Post Class Suggestions
1. Create a plan of action on how to handle controversial issues (or a journaling format for your future reference)
2. Read a couple of articles dealing with current issues (or with your focus area of study) and create an iceberg model to show the students when they ask for an example.
3. Find primary sources regarding your focus area of study. Create a DBQ set of questions that will focus on going beyond summarizing and going beyond the "what" question.
4. Evaluate writing from the 6 + 1 Traits site to feel more comfortable teaching how to evaluate only one trait and how to look beyond obvious mistakes.
5. Practice writing SOCACA thesis statements to provide examples for the students, because they no doubtedly will ask for help.
6. Create a reading lab for your students (this is a great emergency lesson if you need to be absent or need to buy time)
7. Add a couple of resources on the Useful Sites Link
Please read the following links on perfectionism for discussion in class
Post Class Homework Suggestions:
1. Continue to use me as a resource.
2. Write out what you'd like in a letter of reference from me; submit to my email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
3. Think about why you want to be a social studies teacher. Get out if you cannot answer that question.